I was on Episode 1 of TLC's Craft Wars


PJ and I were on episode 1 of TLC's Craft Wars! Our episode was school themed.  First we had to design a bag out of sporting goods.  My idea was to use the karate pants for white fabric and the black belting, the cheerleader skirt for the red trim, and the football for leather accents.

We only had one hour so my idea to sew a zipper AND all these details on BOTH sides was overly ambitious. In fact, it was supposed to have a flap made from the stripe that went over the zipper and closed on the front of the bag. That would have been tough on a good day.  Add in a wee bit of pressure and several issues with equipment that wasn't functioning properly and my bag did not get finished. I knew I was going home! As it turned out, the judges reeked me for not finishing, but they liked my design and I got bonus points for doing a zipper. They sent home a bag that was hit glued together and featured a tennis racket for the bottom.
Surviving to round two meant that PJ and I got to build a playhouse out of school supplies. Our design was based on a little red school house. The small wood details on the door and window shutters were all made from rulers and yardsticks. The flower boxes are made from pencils. The chalk board was framed in pink erasers. The roof was tiled in black composition notebooks. Inside the playhouse were a map made from melted crayons (it took forEVER and never even got shown on TV) and some cute monsters made from backpacks. The judges liked our design and we won our episode!


Comments

Popular Posts