Theater + Visual Art

 I grew up loving both art and theater.  I took all the art classes I could in high school, and tried out for as many productions as I could manage after school.  I remember, when I decided I wanted to be a teacher, I felt that I needed to choose to either be an art teacher or a theater teacher.  I chose art with the hopes that I could do theater on the side.

So far, that plan has worked out pretty well!
  At Oak Ridge High School, the theater program was an after school club.  I became the club sponsor and, in addition to regular meetings and managing the International Thespian Society, we put on two shows a year.  I was fortunate to have guest directors so that I could manage the ticket sales, program layout, advertisers, plus making the costumes, and building/painting the sets and backdrops.  It was a LOT and, because our budget was small, I did most of it DIY.  I even bought hundreds of yards of fabric and SEWED a giant backdrop to fit the large high school stage.  
Shortly after I moved to Beaumont (elementary), we got a theater teacher and I now help with all the sets and some of the costumes for her shows. Here are a few photos of my work.








Comments

Popular Posts